Sunday, September 16, 2012

Price of Food

I was actually unsure about what to post for this post. But, after reading Nadia's post it came to me. I work for and Early Head Start program. Anyone who knows about this program is that we cater to low income families. The majority of these families are also on food stamps. My concern is the fact that so many children are becoming over weight. And I believe this is happening because junk food is so low in cost and so high in fat. I have attempted to go on diets in the past and have gone broke doing it. Why is it that all of the healthy food is so expensive? If junk food would be a higher price, families would be less likely to buy it. My other solution is that Food Stamps will not allow it just like they do not allow beer or toilet paper. I have had a family use their food stamps to buy $40.00 worth of candy for a pinata. And the parents response was " I am not paying for it, so What"s the big deal"

1 comment:

  1. I sooo agree with you. Why do governments make healthy foods soo expensive? The healthy food should be cheap so people could live a better quality of life. I think its a conspiracy, nobody is really looking out for our best interest.

    Also, laws should be put in place that will help parents to make wise decisions when using food stamps and other government assistance in an effort to help combat obesity.

    ReplyDelete